The emergency department sits at the nexus of hospital-based care and the outpatient world, offering a unique vantage point driven by high-touch patient interactions, community and hospital resources, and frequent access to a high-volume key patient population.
From here, we can clearly see an unaddressed “Care Gap” costing the health care system dearly. This gap produces worse outcomes for patients despite higher costs, loss of market share for hospitals, and poor performance in value-based plans.
Yet the negative effects go even further, impacting payors, employers, clinicians and patients. Each group has a stake in seeing that the Care Gap is addressed.
SCP Health’s Enterprise Chief Medical Officer Randy Pilgrim, MD, FACEP, FAAFP, and Lisa Fry, President, Value-Based Care, came together for a recent webinar to discuss what can be done to address the current Care Gap.
Discover how we in health care can do a better job of predicting the Gap, closing the Gap, and delivering care and coordination to the patients most at risk.
View this webinar to learn more about:
- Defining the Care Gap: How we understand and diagnose patients arriving at the “front door” and their path back into their communities.
- Predicting high-risk patients: How to predict which patients are likely to fall through the gap, leading to avoidable emergency department visits, re-hospitalizations, and higher costs for employers and patients.
- Post-discharge transitions: Best practices for optimizing outcomes after discharge from the emergency department.
- Clinical interventions: Strategies for post-discharge touchpoints, including bridges to primary care, behavioral health, telehealth, and home care solutions.
- Non-clinical interventions: Wayfinding and practical instruction for patients on appointment setting, filling prescriptions, and adherence to treatment plans.
Randy Pilgrim, MD, FACEP, FAAFP
Value-Based Care President